The PROTECH project (Pandemic Rapid-response Optimization to Enhance Community-Resilience and Health) is currently looking for volunteers to help our Chinese Canadian communities. PROTECH is a rapid response community-based action project supported by the Government of Canada’s New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF).
As the first racialized groups hit by the pandemic, the Chinese Canadians and diasporic communities have experienced increased stigma and racism, further intensifying the vast mental health, economic and social impact shared by the broader Canadian communities. Led by Prof. Josephine P. Wong and Prof. Mandana Vahabi (Ryerson University); Dr. Alan Li (Regent Park Community Health Centre); and Dr. Kenneth P. Fung (University Health Network), PROTECH uses an integrative approach to engage and mobilize real-time responses to reduce the negative psychosocial impacts of COVID-19 on Chinese Canadian communities and address the mental health needs of affected service providers in the Greater Toronto Area.
PROTECH builds on lessons learned from the SARS pandemic and focuses on the following key activities:
Providing an online resource hub to provide accurate information on COVID-19 and practical coping strategies, with live chat support;
Providing an online training to promote mental health resilience for directly affected communities and health service providers;
Engage in community mobilization to address stigma and racism, and to respond to unmet and emerging needs.
With the recent launch of the PROTECH website (www.projectprotech.ca), we need your help getting the word out to your friends, family, and social media connections to ensure that people who need mental health support can access it in timely manner. Furthermore, we need your help to recruit MORE VOLUNTEERS. As the project builds up, there is an increased need for additional volunteers, including live-chat support agents. This is not only a great way to give back and support an important cause, but it can be something you put on your resume to showcase your contributions during this pandemic.
PROTECH is currently looking for volunteers in the following roles:
(1) Information Hub: review and curate existing resources/information; translate needed information to Chinese; and develop new information as needed.
(2) Technical Support: develop and maintain PROTECH website, live chat, online learning management systems, and other technical functions of the project.
(3) Human Resource/Volunteer Support: recruit, train, deploy and support volunteers in different project roles and activities, including website, live chat, community mobilization and public education.
(4) Community Engagement: organize community outreach, education, and assessment of community needs; coordinate and advocate for needed services and resources.
(5) Live Chat Agent: provide psychosocial support to members of the Chinese communities or healthcare workers who are affected directly or indirectly by COVID-19.